By: Auxilia| On: January 28, 2021
Plaster is the classic pool surface look, and though it is classic and relatively reliable there have been many advances in pool surfaces. Compared to aggregate based surfaces¬–pebbles, glass beads, and quartz–regular pool plaster is aesthetically lacking and not as durable. You should consider a plaster pool resurfacing!
Let’s take a look at pool plaster and why you should consider resurfacing it.
What is pool plaster?
Regular run-of-the-mill pool plaster is a mix of concrete, sand, and water. This plaster is applied as the final coating to a concrete pool. As the final coating, the pool plaster surface acts like an impermeable, watertight surface. It also provides a smoother surface for swimmers, as opposed to the rough concrete that lies beneath. The simple finish can be dyed into other colors.
Pool plaster is very affordable compared to all other pool surfaces. Along with its affordability and its classic look, pool plaster is a very popular surface. There are cons to this simplicity and affordability.
Why should it be resurfaced?
Regular white pool plaster has many disadvantages compared to other pool surfaces. Here are those disadvantages:
- Compared to other surfaces, white pool plaster is a much rougher material than other surfaces.
- Regular pool plaster can become a breeding ground for algae if the right maintenance is not performed. To keep algae at bay you need to perform surface maintenance weekly, and acid washed every few years.
- Plaster is applied with a trowel, and those trowel marks are more noticeable in standard pool plaster.
- Can crack and stain more easily than other materials.
- Colored plaster can lose its dye over time.
- Lasts only 5-10 years.
All of these disadvantages of white plaster are why you should consider plaster pool resurfacing. Aggregates help solve many of the deficiencies of standard plaster. Aggregate surfaces consist of plaster mixed with a strengthening material, such as quartz, pebbles or glass beads. These materials have different advantages and greatly different aesthetics. Here is a little bit about each type of aggregate:
- Quartz: uses quartz aggregate mixed with polymer-modified cement. Can last up to 12 years.
- Pebble: made with small pebbles, it has a real natural look. They can last up to 20 years.
- Glass: glass beads provide a unique sparkle to your pool and lasts as long as a pebble surface
Overall pool plaster is a tried-and-true surface that gives that classic pool look but its disadvantages are many. Consider getting your pool resurfaced by a professional pool resurfacing company like Classic Marcite!
Plaster Pool Resurfacing by Classic Marcite
Now that you know swimming pool resurfacing tips, it’s time to find the right swimming pool resurfacing company. As a family-owned swimming pool resurfacing company, we can ensure that we produce a reliable pool resurfacing service that benefits our customers. Classic Marcite offers the following services for our customers:
- Residential Pool Resurfacing
- Commercial Pool Resurfacing
We are a team of professionals engaged in changing the pool resurfacing industry for the better. We strive to offer the choicest care for our customers. Contact us today to receive a free, no-obligation quote.